Monday, July 1, 2013

Kaeru no Oujo-sama review

I just completed this musical drama. This one aired in Spring 2012.
This will be a full review of this unique drama.

Synopsis ( from DramaWiki):

The scene is set in the town of Yume (Dream) city. Due to financial difficulties, the town is in the process of merging with another city, meanwhile turning into a garbage disposal facility. The formerly prosperous town was referred to as the "Town of Songs", represented by the music hall, now torn down and in ruins.
Returning from New York having performed on Broadway, Kurasaka Mio was born and brought up in this city of dreams. Upon finding out the state the city, she stands up together with a group of mothers in a chorus group called "The Chansons" to bring the city back to life.

Cast :


My review

Story

A music hall in a small city is threatened to be destroyed. To prevent this demolition, a musical group called the Chansons tries to do everything they can. Their leader is an experienced singer from Broadway. Together, they try their best to sing and prevent the demolition of the music hall.

An original story! I was really impressed about why this hasn't been done before. As you can expect, this follows the evolution of the musical group the Chansons. Every episode you see them follow a harsh training and sing. The first few episodes were good and original, but sadly eventually it becomes repetitive. It follows a repetitive cycle of training-> little drama-> concert. This drama had so much potential but it was not a masterpiece because of the repetitiveness. I also felt like the pacing was a bit slow in the middle episodes, and hoped things would progress a bit faster. The pace finally catches up a little bit in the later episodes. Also, the story at times is not very realistic. I am not sure everything happening in the drama could actually be possible in real-life. 

Even though, I still enjoyed it because of this original idea and the beautiful music. Some scenes were really cute and moving as well. After completing this drama, I was left with a good feeling about it.

Acting

The main characters consists of the singing group the Chansons. The acting was ok. A good point is that I think they are actually singing. Some actors are actually singers. I thought the quality of the singing was good. Each member has a different personality, but following some type of stereotype (Ie: the good one, the shy one, the fat one...). I'm actually ok with that and I like it sometimes. What I liked the most was that most members slowly develops and grows by being a member of the Chanson. I love character development and I think it was done right here. However, some characters are left behind.

I found that it took me a while to recognize each member of the group and associate them with what personality. Maybe after after 3-4 episodes, I finally knew all the members. I do not know if this is because there is a lot of them and most of them are presented at the same time or just me (I usually bad with remembering people).

Music

Music is at the center and focus of this drama. The singing is really good and entertaining. They sing many popular songs. Sadly, it turns out cheesy at times. I find they could have made their dance and singing less cheesy and more cool. I watched this drama alone with headphones because of that.
I really enjoyed the ending song "Shine" by Ieiri Leo.

Recommendation

I do not know any drama about a singing group. I really like the idea and would love to know if a series like this one exists.


Overall, I liked my experience with Kaeru no Oujo-sama. I ignored the unrealistic drama and corny music and then enjoyed it for what it had to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment