Thursday, June 13, 2013

Osozaki no Himawari review

Hi folks! I'm back with a full drama review of Osozaki no Himawari!
I was sick with the flu, had final exams at school and had a graduation party, I am sorry to be a little bit behind with my reviews!
I will try to keep my reviews a bit shorter, they were getting longer and longer. I'm sure you don't want a wall of text. I still have much to learn in the art of writing a review!

Synopsis (From Dramawiki):

"Late blooming Sunflower –My life renewed-" is a story of 7 young adults living their ordinary days near the Shimanto river of Kochi prefecture, renowned as the last of the crystal clear streams. Somewhat nostalgic, somewhat new, they hold on to their dreams and insecurities. It's a true-to-life portrayal of the days in young adulthood.

Kodaira Jotaro, the main character, played by Ikuta, is an easy going, slow starter who spends a rather relaxing time at a private college before graduating to work at a company as a contract employee. He leads a so-so life with moderate satisfaction and moderate uneasiness, like any other young man of the modern times. Later, his character and honest ways are acknowledged by the company and he is planned to become a full-time employee when suddenly things take a complete turn. He is not only laid off, but left behind by his girlfriend who he dated for over 7 years.

Jotaro returns to his parents' home only to find that his brother was now the central part of the family, working for the government, the most dependable figure in the family. There is no room for him to fit in and feeling bewildered, he finds a website online that is recruiting volunteers for the revitalization of Shimanto city, Kochi prefecture. Without much thought, he desperately jumps at the opportunity and finds himself in the middle of Kochi, where nature is grand and time is of abundance.

Cast:

Beautiful scenery

My review

Story

Osozaki no Himawari is a slow paced drama about the life of 7 main characters. It takes place in a beautiful rural city of Shimanto ( Kôchi prefecture). Sadly, Shimanto is in trouble. Most of the population is aging and the young is moving away to big cities. The story is about the people living in this city and what they can do to make Shimanto better. It really is an original idea and a nice change. I love dramas that takes place in other regions in Japan as I can learn more about them. This drama was relaxing to watch and made me feel good. There is a story for each of the characters and I thought they were good. It is categorized as a "human" drama (not too sure what it means). Romance is not the main theme here. It is more about friendship and slice of life. A strength of this drama was the absolutely beautiful scenery. 

There is not many bad points about this drama. It was a little bit slow-paced, but this is not the goal of the drama. Also, we always see the same residents making Shimanto seems like a very rural city. Finally, on a more personal note, the rehabilitation scenes made my teeth grind (I'm a graduating physiotherapist).

Acting

The acting was ok. There was good synergy between characters.I did not have any problems with the acting. I think Ikuta Toma did a good job on his role. It was mostly serious but funny at times.

Music

Very good music. I loved the opening sequence! It got me hooked on that song of Mongol800 (anata ni). The music throughout the drama is also good. Here is a link about the opening sequence :


Recommendation

It was my first time watching a drama like this one. I don't really know what to recommend at the moment.

Cute drawing of the cast!

No comments:

Post a Comment